Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Fall 2021 Hours (starting August 22)
- Monday-Thursday: 8am-10pm
- Friday: 8am-6pm
- Saturday: noon-6pm
- Sunday: noon-10pm
Study & Exam Period, December 11-17
- Saturday, Dec. 11: 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 12: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
- Monday-Tuesday, Dec. 13-14: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
- Wednesday-Thursday, Dec. 15-16: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 17 (last day of exams): 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Properly worn face coverings/masks are currently required when indoors on campus.
COVID-19 and Staley Library Services
This guide provides information about current library services, resources, and research & instruction support in light of the COVID-19 epidemic. We appreciate your patience as things change, and your assistance in complying with current public health recommendations.
Check-outs: Users can place requests for circulating Staley Library items and I-Share items through Millikin Library Discovery and select one of two pick up options:
I-Share: Services resumed July 20th, however, due to varying member campus policies, not every I-Share Library has resumed full operation.
- Book drop: Return items to the book drop on the south side of the University Commons building (to the left/west of the main doors).
- Library Services Desk: Return items to the slots at the south end of our Library Services Desk, on the upper first floor of the University Commons.
- Mail: See address below-
Staley Library, Millikin University: Returns
1184 W. Main St.
Decatur, IL 62522
Options to use library services from home, if you are unable to come to the UC:
- Research/Reference Assistance:
- Use our online chat reference, available in this guide, or from the library homepage to get research assistance from a librarian.
- Use our email address to consult with a librarian: email@example.com (Zoom meetings may be scheduled with a librarian through email)
- Call our main phone number and ask to speak to a research librarian: 217-424-6214
- Drop by the main library services desk in the University Commons during our open hours
- Library Online Databases:
- The library's database subscriptions can be accessed remotely. To do so, please first sign-in to myMillikin, then click on the button labeled "Library Databases" in the myMillikin "Academics" menu. From here, select the database you wish to search.
- If you need assistance, please contact the library via online chat, phone, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or in person.
- Google Scholar:
- Enable your Google Scholar preferences to recognize Millikin's online journal collections. (On the main Google Scholar page, click the three lines, select "Settings," click Library Links, search for "Millikin," check boxes next to Millikin options, and save.)
- Staley Library Online Catalog: To see what e-books are available from Staley Library, access our online catalog, do your search, and then, on the left side of the screen, limit to "Availability: Online" and "Resource Type: Books."
- JSTOR eBooks: In your JSTOR search, look under the search boxes for "Narrow by- Item Type" and check the box that says "Books" to limit to eBooks.
- Cambridge Companion eBooks: A collection of eBooks books in the Cambridge Companions series on music, music history, and musicians.
- Google Books does allow online access to portions of some books.
- Internet Archive is another source of free e-books.
- Other digital book collection options are listed here.
- Check your local public library's website to see if they have sources of e-books. Some common digital book apps include: Hoopla, CloudLibrary, and Overdrive/Libby (several of these also include music and video content as well).
- Streaming Video:
- We subscribe to several streaming video databases, including: Filmakers Library Online, Education in Video, Ethnographic Video Online, Dance in Video, Opera in Video, and Nursing Education in Video.
- medici.tv Classical music, including concerts, operas, ballets, documentaries, and master classes.
- Swank Digital Campus Films from major Hollywood studios, documentary providers, independent filmmakers and international film companies provide a diverse library of more than 25,000 films and TV shows for streaming academic use. Millikin's "Flex 50" subscription allows only 50 active titles at a time.
- Netflix- A small library of free educational use documentaries.
- Check your local public library's website to see if they have sources of streaming video. Common digital video apps include Kanopy and Hoopla.
- Interlibrary Loan:
- We continue to process your interlibrary loan article requests and requests for copies of articles from journals Millikin owns to deliver to you online via ILLiad.
- We can also scan book chapters for books owned by Millikin to deliver to you online via ILLiad.
- I-Share requesting and statewide library delivery has resumed as of July 20, 2020
- While the majority of I-Share libraries have resumed services, a few member libraries remain closed or have limited services that slow down requests
- Renewing Library Materials:
- Renewal options have been extended to allow for more renewals and fewer overdue book, score, video, etc. worries. Go to our online catalog, sign-in to your account via myMillikin, and look at the checked-out items under your account. Check the box next to the item you wish to renew, then click on the button "Renew Selected."
- If you need assistance, please contact the library via chat or email (email@example.com)